In honor of what would have been Julia's 100th birthday this month, I thought it would be fun to share some of her quotes. I love that she "discovered" herself in her thirties and literally spent the rest of her long life purusing her passion.
I got the opportunity to see Julia in person when I was an associate producer, working at a local TV station in Seattle around 1997. She was pretty elderly then, but had a very strong presence and felt like an imposing "no nonsense" type of person. I don't think I really appreciated her genuis until I was in my thirties and read My Life in France… a beautiful, life affirming book!
Favorite Julia Child Quotes
1. Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.
2. The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a 'What the hell?' attitude.
3. Always start out with a larger pot than what you think you need.
4. Until I discovered cooking, I was never really interested in anything.
5. I don't think about whether people will remember me or not. I've been an okay person. I've learned a lot. I've taught people a thing or two. That's what's important.
6. Dining with one's friends and beloved family is certainly one of life's primal and most innocent delights, one that is both soul-satisfying and eternal.
7. You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love.
8. Drama is very important in life: You have to come on with a bang. You never want to go out with a whimper. Everything can have drama if it's done right. Even a pancake.
9. I think careful cooking is love, don't you? The loveliest thing you can cook for someone who's close to you is about as nice a valentine as you can give.
10. Life itself is the proper binge.
Happy Birthday, Julia!