How to Recycle Gift Boxes into a Birthday Flag
I enjoy getting jewelry from Stella and Dot, and the boxes the baubles arrive in are so pretty too. It seems like a waste to toss them, so I decided to recycle the gift boxes into a birthday flag instead!
I saw a similar flag for sale and light bulb went off. Why buy it when you can upcycle?
This is a great way to celebrate someone and make them feel extra special on their birthday or any other social occasion. This post contains affiliate links.
Gift Boxes and Paper Card Stock (you could also skip the boxes and go full on card stock!)
Paper Trimmer (similar here)
Gold Thread or Ribbon (similar here)
Letter Stickers (similar here)
Gather your goodies together!
1. Flatten out the boxes
2. Use the paper trimmer to trim boxes and make strips of various lengths and widths. From to to bottom, mine are:
Top (turquoise and light blue) 6″ L, 1/2″ W
Next (green with blue dots) 7″ L, 3/4″ W
Next (pink) 5 1/2″ L, 1/2″ W
Next (light blue card stock) 9 1/2″ L, 1 1/2″ W
Last (green with blue) 5″ L, 1/2″ W
I also made one strip out of card stock so that the letters would stand out better.
3. Fold the strips in half.
4. Using the scissors, cut a notch into the edge of each strip.
5. Add letter stickers to thickest strip.
6. Use Glue Dots to attach “flags” to skewer.
7. Cut five pieces of 10″ long gold ribbon and tie to skewer.
Pop on top of a birthday cake to make an extra special birthday presentation!
Into celebrating birthdays?
Check out my Happy Birthday Party in a Jar project!