March is National Optimism Month!
Optimism: A disposition or tendency to look on the more favorable side of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.
In honor of this fabulous quality (and month), here's a list of 31 easy things we can do to increase our own OQ (Optimism Quotient).
1. Write down 5 things you are thankful for.
2. Think of the most optimistic person you know. Call them up just to say hello.
3. Plant a seed.
4. Leave a few pieces of optimistic guerilla art around. Visit Kind Over Matter for free printable art.
5. Take a walk to the park. Bring a small trash bag and pick up any garbage you encounter.
6. Spend some time with a young child. Note their way of looking with things.
7. Tell someone how pretty they look.
8. Pay for the coffee of the person behind you in line at the coffee shop.
9. Think about any mistakes you've made that you are still feeling badly about. Remind yourself you did the best you could at the time and let go.
10. Open the door for everyone.
11. As the clerk how their day is going.
12. Leave a generous tip.
13. Check out the classic book about being Optimistic: "The Power of Positive Thinking" by Norman Vincent Peale
14. The next time someone confides a problem to you, tell them things will work out– and mean it.
15. Wave at your grumpiest neighbor.
16. Bring a flower to your child's teacher just because.
17. Make it a point of saying thank you to everyone who does something nice for you.
18. Make yourself a *mix tape* of optimistic songs. Some ideas:
Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole
C'mon Get Happy by The Partridge Family
You Gotta Be by Des'ree
Firework by Katy Perry
Blue Skies by Irving Berlin
I'm Coming Out by Diana Ross
Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield
Don't Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin
Walking On Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves
Singin' in the Rain by Gene Kelley
19. Make a donation of time to a cause you care about.
20. Think about someone you see everyday and so something to make their day easier. Don't tell them what you did.
21. Instead if buying a friend or loved one a birthday gift, write out things that you love about them (make as many notes as years they are celebrating).
22. Treat yourself with kindness.
23. If you're a blogger, visit 5 random blogs and leave a nice comment.
24. Make chocolate chip cookies and give (most) of them away.
25. Drop a grudge.
26. Rather than imagining the worst possible outcome, envision the best.
27. Dare yourself to smile at everyone you see.
28. Send a card or letter through the mail to a friend for no reason.
29. Give someone the benefit of the doubt.
30. Make a copy of the Inspirational songs CD for a pal
31. Don't worry. Be happy.