Catch these ideas LIVE on KOMO-TV Monday June 1st at 4pm
Great DIY Gifts for Dad
Celebrate that special Dad in your life with some whimsical gift ideas you can make yourself (or help the kids make)!
Baseball Display Case
Show Dad you always “Have a Ball” with him!
Materials: Wooden Square, acrylic paint, painter’s tape, sandpaper and baseball stickers. All craft materials are available at Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames in Redmond.
1. Use painter’s tape to tape off the inside of the box and the hinges
2. Pant the box (2 coats should do it).
3. Use sand paper to distress the edges of the box.
4. Add baseball stickers.
Duck Tape Tie
If your Dad has a good sense of humor (and what Dad doesn’t?) here’ll love getting this necktie… crafted out of Duck Tape!
Materials: 1 or 2 colors of Duck Tape Rolls, scissors, alligator clip, marking pen. Also helpful– a real fabric tie to use as a template. All craft materials are available at Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames in Redmond. All craft materials are available at Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames in Redmond.
1. Cut of tear four 18″ strips of Duck Tape in your main color. Attach them to edge of your workspace so you can use them in the next step.
2. Create Duck Tape “fabric” by lightly overlapping two of the strips side by side to make a wide strip. Make two fabric “sheets.”
3. Stick the “sheets” together with the sticky sides facing each other.
4. Place the fabric tie in the middle of your Duck Tape sheet and trace the outline from the bottom tip of the tie.
5. Tear a 10″ piece of Duck Tape and fold it in half (sticky sides together), to make a 5″ piece.
6. Tape the 5″ piece to the top of the tie with another small piece of tape.
7. Fold back the “wings” on the top of the tie at an angle to create the knot of the tie. Tape in place with a small piece of tape.
8. Trim off the top corners that may be sticking out.
9. Add an alligator clip on the back of the knot using a piece of tape.
Duck Tape Bow Tie
If Dad is more of a bow tie guy, this gift is for him!
Materials: Duck Tape in your Dad;s favorite color or pattern, ruler, scissors, glue gun and alligator clip. All craft materials are available at Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames in Redmond.
1. Cut a 3″ piece of Duck Tape off the roll then cut it in half lengthwise.
2. Cut a piece of Duck Tape that’s 20″ long.
3. Fold the strip of Duck Tape in half, leaving about a 1/2″ of tape.
4. Make a circle by sticking the sticky side of the Duck Tape to the other side.
5. Scrunch the tape to make it into a bow shape.
6. Use one of the small pieces of tape from Step 1 to secure it to the other end of the bow.
7. Gently pull and fluff out the sides of the bow.
8. Use hot glue to attach an alligator clip.
Dad’s Beer Mug
Materials: Glass mug, vinyl from Vinyl Words and candy. All craft materials are available at Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames in Redmond.
Directions: Following package directions, add vinyl to glass then fill with candy.
‘Stache on a Stick Candy
If you’re sweet on Dad, make him some candy… ‘stache candy that is! He’ll crack up at this fun gift. All craft materials are available at Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames in Redmond.
Materials: Wilton Candy Melts, Wilton Moustache Candy Mold, and candy sticks.
Directions: Melt 1/2 of the package of candy melts in a microwave safe dish for a minute, stirring to make sure all the candy is melted. Pour melted candy into the mold and add the stick. Let the candy set.
Word’s Best Dad Globe
He’s the best Dad in the world, right? Show him with this cool personalized globe!
Materials: Chalkboard globe and chalk. All craft materials are available at Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames in Redmond.
Directions: Draw the continents and write “World’s Best Dad” in chalk. For longer lasting decoration, you could also use colored pencils (design can be removed with turpentine).
DIY Can Cozy
Materials: One fat quarter (18″ by 20″), 1/8 yard Insul-Brite, thread, sharp scissors and a sewing machine. All sewing materials are available at Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames in Redmond.
1. Cut a piece of fabric 10″ by 8 1/2″.
2. Cut a piece of Insul-Brite 10″ by 4″.
3. Press 1/4″ seam to the wrong side along both of the 10″ sides of the fabric.
4. Place the Insul-Bright against the wrong side, tucked into the bottom turn up. Pin it in place along the bottom.
5. With the right sides together. sew the two 8 1/2″ sides together with a 1/2 seam, catching the liner. Trim away the excess liner at the seams.
6. Turn down the top of the fabrics so the pressed together edges meet. Pin in place about every 1″ space.
7. Stich the seam close to the edges. If your machine has the free arm, then this would be he time to remove it to sew. You will be stitching in the round and it’s best if you’re stitching inside the round. Stitch slowly. Repeat for the top edge.
Show Dad he’s your personal hero with this frame.
Supplies: Cardboard frame, white acrylic frame, vinyl (from Decorating Your Life), paper star embellishments. All craft materials are available at Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames in Redmond.
Directions: Paint the frame (may take 2 coats). Cut the vinyl into two pieces (one “Daddy is Just another word for…) and the other “Hero”). Apply vinyl using photo as a guide. Add paper stars and your favorite photo.
Kelly of Simply Kelly Designs says
Love these ideas. My favorites are the world’s best day globe and the tie.
Thanks Kelly and have a wonderful Father’s Day with your hubby and cuties!