Catch these ideas live on KOMO-TV February 8th at 4pm
Sweet Valentine’s Day Projects for Kids
Valentine’s Day is a great holiday for kids to show their creativity with handmade Valentines for classmates and loved ones! All of these projects feature supplies from Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames in Redmond.
Here’s a easy craft that looks hard! Youngsters will love making these treat bags and filling them up with valentines.
Stenciled Heart Treat Bags
Supplies: Canvas bags. acrylic paint from DecoArt in Valentine’s Day colors, doilies, foam paint brushes.
1. Put cardboard inside bags so paint won’t seep through.
2. Place doily (or doilies) on fabric bags.
3. Dip paintbrush into paint, and dab to remove extra paint.
4. Paint on top of doily.
5. Remove doily.
Let kids following their imaginations and make their own funny valentines!
“Beary Glad” Valentines
Supplies: Paper bears created at the Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames Die Cut Center (we used die cut #64), Haribro Gummy Bears, small plastic tubes, letter stickers and ribbon.
1. Die cut the bears
2. Add the letter stickers “I’m Beary Happy we’re valentines.”
3. Punch a hole in the bear’s ear.
4. Fill the plastic tube with gummy bears.
5. Tie the paper bear to the tube.
Butterfly Lollipop Valentines
Supplies: Paper butterfly created at the Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames Die Cut Center (we used die cut #51), lollipops, vinyl hearts or stickers, googly eyes, gold chenille stems and craft glue. If you want to add the butterfly to a gift (like flowers) you’ll also need a colorful paper straw.
1. Die cut the butterfly.
2. Gently fold the butterfly in half and make two small cuts on the “body,” that’s where the lollipop stick with go.
3. Decorate the butterfly with hearts. Use craft glue to add eyes and antennas.
4. Slip the lollipop into the paper butterfly.
5. If adding to a gift, trim a paper straw and add lollipop stick.
Candy Hearts Valentines
Supplies: Paper heart created at the Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames Die Cut Center (we used die cut #6), a small doily, craft glue, letter stickers, a box of Sweethearts Candy Conversation Hearts and ribbon.
1. Die cut heart.
2. Punch a hole in the heart and add ribbon.
3. Glue on a doily.
4. Add letter stickers to doily.
5. Glue (or use doubled sided tape) add box of candy hearts.
Teachers love valentines too. Here are some great gift ideas their students can make.
Sweet 4 U Gift
Supplies: Glass Jar, Gumdrop Hearts Candy, vinyl hearts from Decorating Your Life, doily, letter stickers and ribbon.
Following package directions, add vinyl hearts to jar. Fill jay will candy. Add letter stickers to doily and attach to jar with ribbon.
Candy Hearts Gift
Supplies: Small glass jars, candy hearts and vinyl.
Add the vinyl to the jars and fill with candy hearts.
Love Bug Treats
Supplies: Wilton Candy Melts, Wilton Candy Eyeballs, Wilton Mini Treat Mold, colorful straws cut into 2 inch segments (you’ll need two for each treat), and sprinkles. You’ll also need a microwave safe bowl and cooking spray.
1. Spray the treat mold with cooking spray, set aside.
2. Cut colorful paper straws into 2 inch segments (you’ll need two 2 inch segments for each treat).
3. Place the candy melts in a microwave safe bowl. One bag of candy melts makes three treats. Microwave melts for two minutes and stir.
4. Pour melted candy into treat mold.
5. Working quickly, place two straws for antennae and two candy eyes. Add sprinkles.
6. Place treat mold in refrigerator and to let candy harden.
Give as a gift or enjoy!
Here’s an easy art idea for the kiddos.
Supplies: Four 5 x 5 frames, two pieces of Valentine’s Day themed scrapbook paper, a paper trimmer or scissors, wood X’s and O’s, acrylic paint and craft glue.
1. Cut four pieces of scrapbook paper to 5 inches by 5 inches.
2. Pop out glass in frame. Add paper, then glass and cardboard. Put frame back together.
3. Paint wooden letters.
4. Use craft glue to attach letters to frames.
Cuteness is a pom pom craft! Here are some fab ideas for kids.
Kid’s Pom Pom Crafts
Supplies: Pink pom poms of various sizes, 2 small white feathers, googly eyes, pink chenille stem, tiny black pom pom for nostrils, and craft glue.
To make the pig, you’ll need one large pink pom pom (body), one medium pink pom pom (snout), and four small hot pink pom poms (feet).
1. Glue the nose pom pom and four small hot pink pom poms (feet) to large pink pom pm (body).
2. Glue two feathers on either side of body for wings.
3. Cut chenille stem on half, then one of the halves in half again.
4. Twist the larger piece into a curly tail and glue on back of pig.
5. Fold the two remaining chenille stem halves into ears and glue to pig.
6. Glue on googly eyes and tiny black pom poms.
Pom Pom Bug
Supplies: Large foam heart, medium pom pom, googly eyes, gold pipe cleaner and craft glue.
1. Glue pom pom to heart.
2. Glue googly eyes to pom pom.
3. Glue antenna to pom pom.
Pom Pom Heart
Supplies: piece of wire and small pom poms
String pom poms on wire, then twist the wire into a heart shape.
More Awesome Ideas
Here are more great ideas with fun products from Ben Franklin: Valentine’s Day Sweets Table.